View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm 6'1 and the M3s seats are way better for my body type. Even better than the E60s. 8h non-stop brings zero fatigue in the M3.

Stealth, you spent time in the M5 did you have the same problem? What about in your GS?
I had the same problem in the M5 and in the GS. The M5 seats are very similar to the F10, main difference being that the side bolsters are adjustable and deeper, but the position adjusting range is similar.

It turns out Needsdecaf was right. Sitting with the seat cushion angled up somehow causes pain in the lower back. I switched to a more level seat cushion with a higher height, and the problem has gone away completely. Now I am very comfy and still have good visibility.

However there is something about the seat design in the BMW which is not optimal. I noticed in the BMW that when you raise the height of the seat, the seat also moves forward. i.e. full back is further forward when seated high than when seated low. This forces a trade-off between being too close to the wheel or too low. In the Lexus I sat in today, raising the height didn't move the seat forward. It was a much better design for creating a comfortable seating position.

It doesn't surprise me that your M3 has better seats - my old E46 M3 also seemed to have better positions available to me.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.