View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The balance dynamics are not the same for an inline four as an inline six. A boxer four is balanced.

The 8AT is the same in both cars. And it will be also in the xDrive models. I spent quite a bit of time talking with a ZF rep in Detroit at the NAIAS. ZF also supplies the electric steering for BMW. I did not know that. He said the steering characteristics are all about the programming. They also supply EPA to Ford. He said they have in one (or more?) of their Super Duties and it has completely different programming.

I asked him about after market re-programming possibilities. He didn't know, but he gave me the phone number for ZF's After Market unit. I've been meaning to mention this. I'll find it and post it.
The steering is pretty damn good. The more I drive it, the more I like it... right on par with Porsche's new 911 electric steering. Yes, I said that. Personally, I prefer it on Sport mode.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!