View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 E36 M3 / 2011 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw650burn View Post
After 5 aggravating months of dealing with the dealership and the certified sales director who just so happens to have the same name as your username, the car was traded in with an additional amount paid by me, to offset the lower mileage on the second vehicle. Not exactly the definition of a "replacement." This was done only after I consulted with an attorney and informed the dealership of my intent to seek counsel and to file a complaint with the AZ State Attorney General's Office.

I really just wanted to move on and forget about it all, until I saw your post. Hopefully the vehicle was repaired properly and any potential buyers are informed of the previous damage and the repairs that were made since the updated carfax available on the dealer's site (where the car is for sale again), does not include this information.

VIN: WBAEA53568CV90185
Carfax is a cruel joke. I have handled several cases in which clean Carfax reports were used by dealers to defraud consumers. Any dealer - especially a BMW dealer - can tell when a car has been damaged and repaired. Such cars are worth thousands of dollars less than ones that have not been damaged and repaired. When a dealer sells such a car for full clean retail, the dealer is in essence stealing money from the buyer.

I took the deposition of a Lexus dealership manager a year of so ago in a case involving a previously damaged and repaired CPO LS300. He testified that everyone in the dealership community knows Carfax is unreliable and that the only reason consumers put so much faith in Carfax reports is because of Carfax's advertising.

Around here, these kinds of cases settle in the six figure range and, if they go to trial, can top $1 mil.