Even for people who plan to keep a car for a long time, it's still cost beneficial to lease. Here's why:
- Each model gets a facelift every 6 years. Other than exterior re-design, you get outdated by the new technologies and interior upgrades.
- It gets more challenging to keep the interior (lether seats, plastic parts, etc) clean after 3-4 years.
- Yes, you don't have driving mileage limitation on financed cars, but you still need to keep it low for warranty (4 yrs/50k miles).
- Additional cost to purchase extended warranty after 4 yrs/50k miles.
- Resale value gets affected by any re-paint jobs unless you can keep a car for 8+ years without any scratches or accidents.
- The total cost (with extended warranty) to keep a car for 9 years is probably close enough to that from leasing 3 cars in 9 years (based on cars at 50k-60k MSRP).
- MOST IMPORTANT: Life is short, drive as many cars as possible if financially allowed.
12' Alpine White 640i (F13)
09' Platinum Gray 550i M (E60)
07' Jet Black 525i (E60)
04' Space Gray Z4 2.5i
Last edited by danzzz; 02-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.