View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
My God, there's a lot of really, really bad information on this thread. Let me try to debunk some of it.

First, it is BMW which refuses to patch a RFT under any circumstances. If you look at the Road Hazard warranty that many tire manufacturers include with their RFT's (I'm familiar with the Goodyear and Dunlop warranties) they SPECIFICALLY state that the manufacturer will pay to repair a RFT. If you subscribe to the notion that the tire manufacturer probably knows their tires better than BMW does, if get a nail in your Goodyear or Dunlop RFT, take it to a local Goodyear or Dunlop dealer and have it patched at the manufacturer's expense.

Second, the tire manufacturer's Road Hazard warranty can be pretty darn useful. If your RFT is getting worn down and you pick up a nail, you have the choice of (a.) having it patched at a tire dealer, or (b.) having it replaced at your BMW dealer (since they refuse to patch under any circumstances). If you go the BMW dealer route, the most you will pay for a new tire (even without the BMW wheel and tire coverage) is a pro-rated charge. E.g. if it's a $400 tire with 50% treadlife, you only pay $200 for a brand new tire. No charge for mounting, balancing, disposal, or the TPMS rebuild kit. This can be a pretty good deal in the long run.

Third, your BMW dealer will point out that the tire manufacturer's road hazard warranty only covers the tire, so if you bend or break a rim, you are on your own. They argue you are better served by the BMW wheel and tire plan, which they will gladly sell you for a high price and a hefty profit. But how many rims have you ever broken over your lifetime? In 20-plus years I have lost precisely one rim, and even that was covered by my comprehensive insurance. So one may argue whether the "wheel" part of the BMW wheel and tire warranty is actually useful.

Fourth, if you use a "mobility kit", you have ruined not just the tire, but also the Tire Pressure Monitor. The tire manufacturers' road hazard warranties specifically EXCLUDE coverage for any tire where fix-a-flat was used. So that mobility kit which seemed like a great idea on paper will likely cost you $550 or more if you use it ($400-plus for the tire, $100-plus for the TPMS, plus mounting, balancing and disposal of the tire you trashed). So is the mobility kit useless? Not entirely. The kit comes with a can of goop, and a compressor. If you use just the compressor - not the goop - to get pressure in the tire so you can drive it to the nearest tire shop, you're okay.

Fifth, "run flat tires" are marketed as allowing you to drive a stipulated distance at a stipulated speed. Buried in the fine print is the fact that if you drive on the RFT for ANY distance, the tire becomes unrepairable. Even if the flat was caused by a nail that could have been repaired for $25 at your local tire shop (or for free if your tire came with a manufacturer's road hazard warranty), you cost yourself $400 or more by driving on the tire. So many of us feel that RFT's are an out-and-out scam. Yes they will get you out of a bad neighborhood, but it's a very expensive proposition. Even if you stick with RFT's, you may want to look into carrying a mounted spare, particularly if you travel in parts of the country where F07 tires may be hard to come by. (And if you decide to carry a spare, don't forget you also need to carry a scissors jack and lug wrench).

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 02-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.