View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
My point is ethanol is not a performance killer and certainly won't harm your engine(as someone said above) it may be that your tune is off but ethanol is a better fuel for performance you may just need to adjust your tune. For example look at my experience today at the track with 93 vs MS109, does that mean that race fuel is a performance killer? No it means my tune needs adjustment to the fuel I'm using but overall the fuel is better for performance.

Edit: another example is the ford flex fueled vehicles which run a sensor that detects the % of ethanol in the fuel and adjust the tune accordingly. The higher the ethanol content the more performance increases.
Hang on a minute. So if there's nothing but benefit of running with E85 fuel in an engine not designed for high content ethanol fuel, why won't car manufacturers honor warranty claims when they find out you've been running out of spec fuel? (A quick google on the subject last night appeared to confirm warranty denial across multiple brands, or at least serious concerns to that effect). I hear it has something to do with accelerated wear and tear on engine components that corrode much faster when subjected to alcohol, but then I'm no expert.