View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
10 to 1 you got some bad gas. Maybe it picked up some moisture from sitting over the off season. I had a 5 gal sealed VP container from a local speed shop. It actually sat for almost a year, but I know it was sealed and in a pretty stable environment in my garage.
Unfortunately not - checked for bad fuel/water several times. The problem is consistent, and doesn't go away with brand of fuel/gas station. It's a common issue in the world of motorcycling - so much so that people buy all sorts of products to counteract the effects of ethanol. I too have done it, though the name of the product momentarily escapes me.

Edit: Just found the bottle in my garage. It's called Star Tron - Enzyme Fuel Treatment. On their website they say:

"Ethanol / E10 fuels increase the amounts of water and sludge in your fuel tank. Star Tron breaks down this excess water and sludge to sub-micron size allowing it to be safely burned away during normal engine operation. Therefore Star Tron prevents phase separation and fuel gelling, eliminating ethanol fuel problems."

Apparently it also helps increase mpgs, though I've never measured the before and after effect. It did decrease engine stuttering and hesitation, though, and made for more linear and predictable power delivery.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Last edited by nhs156; 02-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.