View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1980 View Post
Dear All,

I am new to this site. First of all I would like to saw BMW cars are amazing!!

I used to own an E90 BMW 320D M Sport in Le Mans blue and absolutely loved it. I say I used to own one because 48hrs ago it was stolen during the night. It was parked in a well lit street which is in a junction with the main road, wall or wooden fence on one sides and on the other side of the road is a school - though at night I would imagine the road to be quiet.

The manner in which it was taken would suggest someone was able to break in and some how bypass the immobilizer and drive off in it - all done relatively quickly.

I know the car was not towed away of lifted on to a truck because there was broken glass on the floor, and from the position of the broken glass I would say they smashed the rear passenger door window.

Am I right in saying that modern day cars such as BMW's with immobilizers it should be almost impossible to hot-wire the engine? If this is the case then they must have a generic key?

I have heard rumours that BMW technicians have a generic key fob that works on all BMW's? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then it is one of the major flaws in the security system of their cars as the generic keys could be lost or stolen!

I'm kind of hoping someone who knows more about BMW cars can shed a light on how secure their cars are and if it is not with a generic key then how the hell did someone manage to bypass the immobilizer, start my car engine and drive off??

Your advice will be most welcome as I am seriously considering whether I would want to buy another BMW after this.....

Cheers!
i would say towed. my guess is that they broke the window to release the parking brake or take the car out of gear.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level: