View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: MB SLK55, Porsche C4S
There are several different non run flat all season tires in our size, but the only winter tires that I've seen in our size are Pirelli Scorpions, and they are run flats...have them on my '11 50i. They do ride somewhat softer than the Bridgestone summer run flats that came on the truck, but the ride is still on the stiff side. As you might expect there's a bit of a handling tradeoff with the softer ride and the winter tread pattern, but my guess is that only enthuisatic drivers would notice. And despite the wide width of the tires, the Scorpions are great in the snow. The X5 with 20 inch Scorpions is better in the snow than my Pathfinder with Michelin LTX tires, which have a reasonably aggressive tread pattern (and I have an older Pathfinder with part drive 4 wheel drive) I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the stiff ride and sharp handling of the run flats on this truck, whereas I ditched the run flats on my Mini Cooper S (with sport suspension) because the ride was nothing short of brutal. On the Mini there was a noticeable loss in the go kart handling due to the softer sidewalls of the non run flat tires, but I had little choice as the ride with the run flats simply was not tolerable with the bad roads around here (I'm in New Jersey)

Last edited by shark715; 02-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.