View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
When will all wheel drive / xDrive be available on the F30?
Both 335i and 328i will be available in all wheel drive xDrive starting July 2012. Manual transmission will likely be available on the 328i xDrive, don't count on it for the 335i xDrive.

Can I get an xDrive in manual transmission
Manual transmission is a likely option on the 328i. 335i will be 8 speed automatic only.
I was shocked when I read here that the 335i xDrive will conclusively be "automatic only", with no manual transmision option. Has this really been announced or published somewhere? I remember seeing one BMWNA exec interview that said manual-transmission xDrive would be available in the USA "in some models [plural]", but nothing about 328i only. If anything, I would more likely expect to see manual-transmission xDrive only on the 335i, because the added weight and burden of the xDrive system would be relatively less of a drain on the more-powerful engine. Also, BMWNA often drops the manual-transmission option on its smaller engines first (e.g. 640i vs. 650i, and 528i vs. 535i). Of course, I would prefer to see both engines with the manual option.