View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I am interested in the torque app, which bluetooth adapters have you been using, I have seen the cheap ones on Amazon, are they any good, also can these adapters somehow cause any damage if they malfunction ?
Sorry for the late response but I've been on vacation. Put almost 1k miles on the D and it's just a pleasure to drive.

I'm using a cheap OBD blue tooth adapter I bought off eBay for ~$18. Some people seem to have issues with them, but others don't. I haven't had any issues.

On the trip I did some experimenting with mpg data, especially during DPF regens. During regens (last one for the mostly highway trip happened at 450 mls from the previous) the Torque app's "average mpg" recorded numbers ~30% higher than the cars recorded mpg's. The Torque algorithm doesn't seem to be able to measure the post injection mpg impacts correctly.

Also, for non regen conditions the Torque app's standard mpg algorithm is much more accurate than the newer "enhanced mpg" algorithm. At least on my car with the settings I'm using. The enhanced algorithm was 30-40% low. The standard algorithm was ~5% high. Some tweaking is apparently allowed by various methods within the app that I haven't tried yet.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods