View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
I do understand your point. Just out of curiosity, have you driven any other M car besides E60 M5 or E63 M6? What I was trying to say is that when youíll spend some seat time in M5/M6 SMG and get to understand the car better, normal driving in city without mashing the pedal will come natural to you. Even then, one still have to shift beyond 3K rpm otherwise one will get this bucking or bogged down feeling from the engine all the time. In addition, shifting at a low RPM will also yield clunky shifts.
But itíll take some time to learn the nuances of SMG. Moreover, itís a V10 with a rev happy S85, it needs some winding to get it going. Thereís nothing subtle about it. Unfortunately Ö no magical SMG setting/s to give one low end torque for normal driving in the city.
IMHO, the challenge that you are having is comparing your current carsí twin-turbo with a low end torque to a S85 engine, which, only comes alive when itís driven like you own it.
Again, the magic phrase is - ďSpend some seat timeĒ and sees if it checks most of your expectation boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
I am not worried about the performace part. Mash the gas & I get my performance.

I'm looking for input on how to make the SMG trans enjoyable during normal driving.

I don't mash the gas on my cars every time I get behind the wheel. I also don't rev to 5k RPM every time either. I know how to get the performance out of them This is about driving like a normal person.