View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
The seat rails fit the same bolt holes, so they are a 'drop in'. As far as plug and play, it depends on the model years (seats vs. car) and the wiring harness. As you already have power seats, your car harness already has the necessary power, ground, and memory wires if you replace them with power M sport seats.

If you have heating, same thing. Apparently, the earlier cars had wiring in the car harness for heat and power adjust regardless of whether the seats were so equipped - I know my MY 2006 did not have the power adjust wiring, and I had to add it when I changed from manual to power seats.

As mentioned, the passenger seat occupancy sensor was different (and incompatible) on the earlier and later cars. The early cars used a 'black box' under the seat in line with the sensor mat wiring, the later years plugged straight in. AFAIK, the sensor change was done with the facelift cars, so for ease of installation you'd want to ensure you have seats from a compatible year. There is no easy fix otherwise, as you either have to bypass the sensor (not a desirable option for me) or tear your seats apart to swap the sensor mat from your old one to your new one.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go. The sports seats would be a great way to solve your issue and upgrade at the same time.