View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBimmerGuy View Post
I'm working on my seats right now thanks to your post and a bunch of others on this site. Removed both front seats from the car (easy). Going to fix the broken reclining gear ($39 on Ebay) on the passenger seat as long as I have them out of the car. Found the broken gear inside the seat transmission box and ordered a new one. Spent several hours wet sanding and removing failed dye on the driver seat which is always the worst seat. Used a little crack filler to test results in a couple of the worst spots. So far so good. I bought Kit#2 from Leatherique with 2 oz. of crack filler. Wet sanding and removing the cracked dye is taking quite a while but the leather does get really supple as you remove the old dye. Wet sanding leather is a little scary at first but once you realize there's no turning back you just keep moving forward. I'm taking pictures at various points along the way and will probably post my own thread if the project goes well. The car I'm working on is a 98 M3 in Helrot Red with Magma and black interior. Leatherique has the Magma dye color (custom color) I need. I haven't applied any yet but it looks like a perfect match.
I also had to replace the reclining gear on both these seats. I did that a couple months back, wish I had done it all at the same time. Good luck, can't wait to see. I love magma interior!