View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
I've been experimenting with positions, and have been scooting the seat further back, with less recline on the back. Only two problems so far, and that is one, I'm having trouble seeing the tops of the guages when the steering wheel is in a comfortable position - forcing a compromise, and second, have to really reach for the shifter. (Non-sport auto. Really stinks for manual mode shifting.) All in all though, back pain is much better managed. I should be doing a 2-1/2 hour drive, (each way) this coming weekend, so that will be a good test to try out the new seating position. I'll let you know how it goes....
First of all, your mind plays a role in whether or not you will feel back pain. If you expect it, focus on it and think about it, you will feel it. Trust me.

That said, if you have to reach for the shifter it would seem you are too far back. If you can't see the gauges it would seem you are too low.

I'm only 5'9" so I don't know how difficult it is for you to be able to reach a comfortable position for your knees. In my case, when I started driving the "right" way it felt cramped. My chest felt too close to the steering wheel, my knees were bent too much and too close to the steering column. It took some time to get used to it, but I came to appreciate the improved steering control.

I would suggest to set the seat high so that there is only a few inches between the top of your head and the ceiling. If this causes discomfort for your legs, you can experiment with the angle (not the recline) of the seat. My seat is probably on a 20-degree angle which allows my legs to be extended further.

Also I set the lumbar support as far back as possible. The seat already cradles your back, you don't need extra support. I believe these supports can be counterproductive and increase the pressure on your lower back if they are set too aggressively.

Good luck . . .