View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
It seems unlikely those systems would be different. They are the same generation, same software, same basic layout. All the stuff on the outside of the motor is the same too as far as the electronic sensors are concerned. Shouldn't everything just plug right into the existing harness in the wagon? Especially if the wagon is a stickshift, I can't think of anything that would be different from a stickshift RWD 2.5L and a stickshift RWD 3.0L with a set of cams in in it. Swapping over the ECU should take care of the engine software and nothing else is changing right?

Im not particularly well versed on the ins and outs of OBD-II so I'm just spitballing, but it seems logical.
There were quite a few software (and some hardware) changes between 2001 and 2002, and unfortunately everything other than the DME is stuck with the factory software. As far as starting and running the car, most of the changes shouldn't cause any issues. It's diagnosing the car where some issues might arise. If his car is going to have the ZHP's cluster, EWS, and LSZ modules by the end of the project, then his car will identify itself as a ZHP. In my experience, the diagnostics and coding programs error out and quit if they detect that a module is running older software than intended for the car.

My recommendation would be to send the ZHP's DME and the wagon's EWS to RPM Motorsport, and have them sync the EWS tables and change the VIN of the DME to the wagon's. That way he could keep all of his original identifying modules (it won't be an issue that his car identifies itself as a 325 wagon while the DME is for a 330; the DME's software versions and uptates are determined independently of everything else). If he wants the red needles and the 6800 RPM redline, I would say he's best off just physically swapping the gauge faces and the needles.

DSC may or may not pose an issue. Although both cars use the MK60, I know that the software on the module changed a decent bit between 2001 and 2002. It might not be enough of a difference to confuse the DME, but at the same time it could be. Worst case scenario, he should be able grab the module from the ZHP without causing any issues; wiring should be the same.

I have no afiliation with RPM Motorsport btw. They're just the only company I'm aware of that can change the EWS tables on used DMEs.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-09-2012 at 04:51 AM.