View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
Ok, so now you have me all strung out that my deal wasn't that good?

I thought I left a little meat on the bone, but was that too much? I have read that BMW does not use "holdbacks", so how else do they make money, chewy?

What is your experience, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, I did not intend to imply anything about your deal. I think you did a fine job. It sounds like you got a good offset from your trade-in. If you got closer to invoice on the new car they would have taken more off of the trade-in. Overall the deal is good.

I am only saying once the deal is done, there's not much to be gained in second guessing it - just enjoy the car. In my business experience you put the completed transactions behind you and move on to the next deal - that's all I meant to say.

As far as dealer profitability is concerned, I just think if you look at the costs of running a dealership - a few hundred dollars over invoice is not all the profit. You cannot cover costs with only that... My salesman admits to holdbacks - but I am sure there are other ways dealers make money (on new car sales). I try not to look too much into the pocket of the other party of any deal - only try to negotiate fairly, but hard....

My deal was invoice plus $500, not including the dumb luck incentive at delivery. I think your deal is comparable given the different economic circumstances of now vs. when my deal was made six months ago.... I have read of deals in the forum of a couple of hundred above invoice - But that does not take anything away from my deal or your deal. All the circumstances are unique so you cannot really compare too closely.

The only thing that counts is whether or not we are happy with the cars at the price that we paid.