View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to tarf
Mein Auto: 2009 E90, 2008 RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by a71mg View Post
Did the EPA actually test the 335i? Any chance that the 335i AT results will be adjusted down so that MT gets better mileage?
I've got a 335 ordered for ED - The only reason I went with AT was due to the gas mileage. But I can still change to MT.
Previously, the BMW website listed the 335 as:
20/30 with MT
23/33 with AT
The EPA website still shows these figures.

Now the BMW website lists TBD for both transmissions. So I would think that they are rethinking things.

Also, here an article that includes BMW's press release on the issue:
http://www.autospies.com/news/EPA-Lo...-To-Why-69741/

"All manufacturers are responsible for testing and submitting fuel economy figures each year to the EPA (based on physical tests following the EPA test cycle on a dynamometer). Occasionally, the EPA will validate the figures that we provide. When this happens, there are sometimes small changes in the published EPA fuel economy figures (usually 1 mpg up or down).
The EPA recently tested the 2012 328i Automatic and obtained a highway mileage result that was 3m pg lower (33mpg versus 36mpg) than the BMW test result. We are very surprised by this result and are currently working to determine how this is possible. The new rating seems abnormally low in relation to the other models in the BMW range and by the real-world fuel economy that we are seeing from this model.
Unfortunately, there is no provision in the EPA rules for a re-test this year. Therefore regardless of the results of our investigation, the new rating will stand for this model year."

Last edited by tarf; 03-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.