Thread: e36 weird high
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman10 View Post
Well deal with it, because it's true.

I've had three or four different master tech's mention it.
I still don't believe it. It's not like everything a master technician says is true, either. Nobody has ever been able to produce empirically validated information on this topic. All that has ever been said is people claiming someone else told them it was so, or they refer to some other internet forum. Yes, there could be difference in the spring perches, but this is highly unlikely because altering the spring perch would also alter the spring compression. From an engineering standpoint, it does not make any sense to design a side-specific spring perch and then use the same height/rate springs on both sides of the car. Rather, if different spring perches were to be used, I'm sure BMW engineers would have also designed springs which were specific to each side of the car. Alas, they have not.

Also, there has not been a single example provided which shows any actual dimensional differences between the left and right struts. Not in the history of the internet, and not in any official BMW technical literature (to my knowledge). It's all "my mechanic said this" and "this forum says so".

You guys gotta go with what's logical. There is nothing about the stock E36 suspension which suggests that one side is higher than the other.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback