View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
Especially those of you who went to the Mini from driving say, a 4-door sedan or even something more (kind of) exotic like a BMW or Audi coupe or convertible.

I've had a number of Mazda Miatas over the years, currently have a Boxster, and a BMW 3-series X-Drive wagon. I love convertibles, but find the current Mini vert to be a little goofy looking - and it has such little storage space for every day stuff let alone a trip. The soon to be available Mini Roadster looks to be a real hoot, but kinda pricey for what it is...

The standard Mini could be a fun (almost) DD but I wonder how many of you bought/leased one only to get tired of the small size and limited cargo/stuff space? How do you feel about it now that you've had it for some time? I know the Clubman and Countryman are options, but I'm not sure I want to go with either model... especially if I were to keep the BMW wagon (see rather oversized pic below)!

And of course the issue of maintenance and reliability always comes up in every car forum, so how would you rate your experience there?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not raggin' on the Mini. I like it. But I've not had much seat time other than a test drive a couple years ago, and yet I still find myself attracted to the idea of having one. I'm just looking for real-world feedback on the practicality, fun factor longevity piece, and costs to keep things going.

Thoughts?

Doug
Here's my bottom line since owning one (see pic and specs below) for three months:
  • it's fun to drive (handles much like my 335ci)
  • it gets good (if not exactly great) fuel economy--33 city/38 road
  • it gets lots of looks and positive comments (on the order of a compliment a day average)
  • it has adequate space for stuff, but not much if you'r hauling more than 2 people
  • all seats are comfortable, but long people would find themselves cramped in the back.
Did I say it's fun to drive?

Happy motoring!!!

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY