View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46-E92 M3s,997TT,997C4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
Sadly, the latest issue of "Car" magazine pretty much eviscerates the 991 (relatively speaking, of course, as even they acknowledge that it's still a great car), blaming it on the electric steering and the (optional) dynamic chassis control. Although the latter can be deleted, the electric steering is what it is (at least for now), and has completely turned me off to the car (as well as to the new Boxster, the steering for which has had equally bad reviews). The "alive feeling" of the steering in a 911 had always been one of its best features, and it seems that in an attempt to save a few bucks Porsche may have truly alienated its most loyal group of buyers. Unlike a $40,000- $60,000 BMW 3-series which has become equally "softened" as time progresses and yet has picked up hundreds of thousands of "mass market" buyers, a 911 is a $100,000+ car for which true enthusiasts probably make up a significant slice of its buyers. I doubt that by deadening the steering Porsche will pick up a single "conquest sale" from, say, a Mercedes SL or Jaguar XK, and yet it may very well LOSE its most important core group of buyers. Now we'll just have to see if those engineers in Weissach can refine that new steering mechanism enough to put some real life back into it, or if they instead decide to go back to the hydraulic system. Meanwhile, I guess I may be keeping my M3 a lot longer than I thought I would, as that new 911 no longer seems worth its 60% price premium to me.
Yeah, I agree to some extent. When I drove the 991, it didn't feel any less than my 997's. In fact, I thought the 991 steering was quite good. I think 98% of the drivers out there including myself , will never really know the difference. I think the difference can only probably really felt on track or when the car is taking to it's limits. One thing is for sure, the new 991 is much more quieter and refine than my 997's. But I love my 997 (see attachment)

I a lot of new 991 owners including those who track their cars, say the 991 is just as good...check it out 6speedonline.com.

Hang in there, I hear the next M3 should be good...lighter, turbo, etc

I'm curious, if you were in charge of designing the next M3 and 911, what would you have done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5N95G35K43Ka3Ib3N6c3g67656300840c1e35.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	318515  

Last edited by mark_12345; 03-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.