View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
I don't keep any car past the warranty's expiration. We had too many clunkers in the past that died after the warranty expired. I couldn't afford that unexpected humongous bill. With MINI and the warranty coupled with the maintenance deal, we got out of the cars at 36,000 miles or so (two years approx). We kept getting excellent trade value for them so we have stuck with the brand. OTOH, I had a number of minor issues with Toyota and Chevy. Those problems usually resulted in the cars still being driveable, but required wasting valuable time and effort to get them repaired even when still under warranty.

It's really just a crap shoot I suppose. In my book, MINI has come up winners each time for us.

MINI less reliable than Porsche, Jaguar and Chrysler? I question whatever source you're citing.
So you are basing your stellar reliability claim on cars that are approx. two years old and less than 40,000 miles?

Check out the April, 2012 issue of Consumer Reports, auto edition. Mini is ranked as one of worst used car picks, most problematic...

Here is the latest Consumer Reports data:

Used Cars, Problems per 100 cars
2007 Mini Cooper S (Year 1: 9 problems, Year 5: 113 problems). CR's conclusion is this car is aging badly.

Worst of the worst for reliability, "much worse than average reliability among 2002-2011 models"

"Used cars to avoid"

Mini Cooper Hatchback S, 03, 05-09

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is the reliability data from 2006 to 2011.

Mini Cooper Hatchback S

Engine Major: 2006 "better/good"; 2007-2009 "much worse than avg", 2010 "better than average" and 2011 "better/good"

There seems to be a similar trend in most categories, , i.e. marked improvement in reliability starting in 2010, with below average reliability for 2007-2009, except for fuel system, which is "much worse than avg" from 2007 through 2011.