View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
From your signature, it appears you're already driving the diesel X5. I was going to rant about how I understand it is tough to get an engine classified for the US market, but since it's already in the E70 X5, it shouldn't be that tough to get it approved for the X3 and X1. What is the justification for denying us such an awesome combo?
Logistics is the issue I think. The US Market X5 35d uses the older M57 engine with 6 spd automatic. The EU Market X3 30d/3d and X5 30d/35d/40d use the newer N57 diesel with 8 speed automatic. The N57 isn't compatible with the US market's urea system (yet.)

BMW used the M57 because both the E90 and E70 were reaching EOL at around the same time and the older M57 was compatible with the urea system

I think we have to wait until the next gen X5 to see what diesel engine it will get, then hopefully it will go into the X1/X3/X5. Audi and MB are doing something similar.

Audi is brining out a new version of their 3.0TDI in the A8 soon and it will go into the Q5, next gen Q7, A6 within the next 12-24 months. MB brought out their new 3.0TDI in the '12 ML and its going into the facelifted E next year, next gen S class, next gen GL, all due within 12 months. MB also announced a GLK CDI for the US market and its 4 cylinder diesel will be going into the C Class soon also.