View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITSENSETAM View Post
Aspen, these cars are between me and my brother. We split them, change up thru the weeks. Don't get me wrong. I looove BMW's, so much that we purchased the infiniti's as our daily drivers. The 528i is at 105k, the M3 at 205K. But for the amount of money spent to keep these bimmers up to par and functioning correctly was to much. I had to give them rest. I first purchased the Altima due positive 3.5 reviews, noted as one of the best engines made for reliability and performance. That car lasted me years without one problem except the annoying rattles. Then moved up to the M35 without rattles, same reliability. The bimmers are pampered and garaged.

I understand having a second car, especially on an aging bmw -- I have one too. It's crappier than probably anything you could imagine owning but I got it for free -- '92 Honda Civic DX. It costs maybe $250 a year to run, and it is 20 years old (115K). But we're not comparing economy cars here, the infiniti is being compared directly to the E39 here, and I think we can agree it comes up short. The BMW costs more, but is a better car. Of course an economy car is cheaper to run, having a 2nd car is a great way to keep the miles lower on the E39 and cut some costs on gas/maintenance. No hate for that, just people who think their infiniti is some head-turner.