View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesoffen View Post
I have a now 9yo and 6yo that have been to Germany 8 and 5 times, respectively. Carrying the car seats and kid related stuff is really not that big of a deal in the end. Just realize ahead of time you won't move as efficiently during your travels and you'll be fine (i.e. don't schedule tight connections, minimize plane/train changes, etc.). Also, car seats don't count towards your baggage allowance on most air carriers. However, even if they do, remember that you have extra passengers so your baggage allowance is proportionally larger.

Regarding making the trip manageable - schedule an easy 1st day or 2. In my experience, the kids had a better time adjusting to jet lag than the adults. Keep days manageable too (no marathon travel/sightseeing days) and try to keep accommodation changes to a minimum by using base locations for exploring and area for 2-3 days. You didn't indicate what your specific touring interests were but at 2-4 years old, the kids will have a blast with some of the more routine things (e.g. train/bus/boat trips). Also plan for some kid time in the schedule - in Munich they have the Spielzeugmuseum (toy museum), Frauenkirche tower climb, Deutsches Museum (if your kids are into planes/trains/automobiles), and several other similar things. Mix things you want in with kid friendly locales - e.g. enjoy a bier in the lakeside biergartens of Seehaus, pick a table to the side and let the kids play out of the way.

I'm sure many of the other family travelers can give plenty more ideas if you want to elaborate on your sightseeing interests and particular locations you have in mind.
Thanks! I really appreciate the suggestions for managing an ED trip with little ones!! I'm still researching routes, but am considering the following:

Munich -> Salzburg -> Venice -> La Spezia -> Nice (for car drop off)

And probably stay for 2-3 days at each location as you suggested.

And thanks for the specific suggestions for places that are kid friendly! I'll definitely keep these in mind as I continue to plan.