Thread: BMW NAV System
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I'm right there with you. I had been strongly considering the Tesla Model S as my next vehicle purchase but was actually put OFF by the giant touch screen and almost complete lack of physical controls, I just can't take it in a vehicle, which I expect to provide me with some kind of tactile response.

BMW has it right with i-drive but they are starting to fall behind and lag in the apps integration area. Like many manufacturers they are frightened of losing control of the cockpit and even more frightened of losing the high profit margin they make on in vehicle infotainment systems.

This is one reason that I am leasing my next vehicle "purchase". I expect that over the next 5-7 years the pace of automotive tech will only increase, and rapidly, with the weaker players getting weeded out (Mercedes is already throwing the towel in as evidenced by their proclamation that they are making iPhone/Siri the centerpiece of their next effort).

Hopefully in another decade we all look back at these "bad old days" in which in-car systems by and large SUCKED and while laughing, we wonder how we got through it.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 04-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.