View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
As long as he used the correct sizing for 20's, then the outside diameter of the tire shouldn't have changed from the 19's.
Correct. I kept the same rolling diameter. The only difference between my set up and OEM BMW set up is the fact that my rear tires arewider, therefore I have a wider tire (285 instead of 275), because it's slightly stretched over the 10.5" rim width, I assume that it ends up having a virtually identical rolling diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Outside diameter is one variable. The others are section width and offset. Changes in these can impact fender clearance, particularly at the front with steering at full lock and the suspension is fully compressed.

Overly dramatic example: Assume a RWD 535 with ZSP or ZMP and staggered wheels. Presumably the OD of the rear wheels and the front wheels are close, if not identical. If you slapped the rear wheels on the front axle, I bet you would have a clearance issue.

(Even more dramatic example: try doing ht esame thing with the staggered 20's on my X5D).
My front tires are the exact same size that BMW sells for 20" setup on the 5 series F10. I haven't lowered my car, therefore, there would be no reason for them to rub.

2012 X5 35d - Platinum Grey (Hers)