View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
Well, you really had me going on a tear. I'm afraid I get down in the weeds when it comes to lubes - - a fascinating subject for me.

I used to do shortened oci's too for a long time (18 BMWs), back in the good old days of dino lubes and bias ply tires, and before BMWNA when the Monroney sticker on BMWs said Hoffman Motors. But man's understanding of how oil performs inside an internal combustion engine has improved significantly since then. Just remember that when you change the oil you are dumping lube that has reached an All-Pro level of performance with one that is a rank rookie that will take several thousand miles before it can figure out which way is up, particularly in combating wear - http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/. But, don't worry - - BMW motors are tough - - they can take the abuse of too frequent oil changes!

I believe in keeping the All-Pro in the lineup as long as possible.

Are you an F 1 fan? You plan on going to the Weehawken Grand Prix next year? I hope it takes place. The sound of a naturally-aspirated motor twisting at 19,000 rpm is unbelievable. And that'll be the last year for that sound. They're going to go V-6 turbos in 2014. The organizers of the F 1 race to take place this year in Austin, TX just announced ticket prices: grandstand tickets start at $2500. They must think it's the Super Bowl. I'll miss that one.