View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Well, you really had me going on a tear. I'm afraid I get down in the weeds when it comes to lubes - - a fascinating subject for me.

I used to do shortened oci's too for a long time (18 BMWs), back in the good old days of dino lubes and bias ply tires, and before BMWNA when the Monroney sticker on BMWs said Hoffman Motors. But man's understanding of how oil performs inside an internal combustion engine has improved significantly since then. Just remember that when you change the oil you are dumping lube that has reached an All-Pro level of performance with one that is a rank rookie that will take several thousand miles before it can figure out which way is up, particularly in combating wear - http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/. But, don't worry - - BMW motors are tough - - they can take the abuse of too frequent oil changes!

I believe in keeping the All-Pro in the lineup as long as possible.

Are you an F 1 fan? You plan on going to the Weehawken Grand Prix next year? I hope it takes place. The sound of a naturally-aspirated motor twisting at 19,000 rpm is unbelievable. And that'll be the last year for that sound. They're going to go V-6 turbos in 2014. The organizers of the F 1 race to take place this year in Austin, TX just announced ticket prices: grandstand tickets start at $2500. They must think it's the Super Bowl. I'll miss that one.
Can't think that far ahead to consider the Weehawkin GP (about 35 miles from where I live). But if tickets are $2500, I do not have to think about it at all!

Back to oil. I fully agree the oil, in itself, is good for the mileage indicated by BMW. But it's what the oil is holding, which in the case of the diesel includes suspended soot, that I am concerned about. Have seen way too many examples of OCI driven oil changes with short driving distances to yield an engine that is nothing but a solid block of goo when the valve cover is removed. And as I said before, we now have delicate turbo bearings to worry about. I might be convinced to do 10K miles, but 13K is getting past my comfort zone.

I maintain my cars as if I will be keeping them forever. I buy, do not lease, When maintenance is all on me, I may do the 10K. But for now when there are the included changes at 13K, if going to do extra ones, makes most sense to do it 1/2 between.

This is what I am talking about. My 2000 328i with 140K miles (which I recently gave to my son making room for the D), BMW synthetic every 8K miles. Nothing was cleaned for the picture (cover gasket still stuck to the head)

Last edited by KeithS; 05-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.