View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Panties in a bunch much???

In all seriousness, I do understand what you are saying....BUT....if I'm not jeopardizing anyone else's health and safety, who are you to tell me how I decide to go?

If I crash at 150 mph on the track or on the road the result is going to be pretty much the same.
Totally disagree. On the track, you have passed a safety inspection, and are wearing a helmet. There is fencing to keep critters off the track, there is no oncoming traffic, there are flag stations to warn you of incidents ahead, a total absence of trees and telephone poles, Armco around other things that can hurt you big time, maybe even gravel traps and tire walls. There may be "some" roads that offer similar levels of crash-friendliness, but they certainly are in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
I have multiple roads that I can literally see for miles here in AB that are perfectly smooth and under-utilized. You are absolutely correct that if I crash north of 240 km/h, things aren't going to turn out well. Still not something you get to decide.
You don't know me, but if you did, you would realize I am tremendously opposed to government intervention in our lives. But at some point we (as a society) do have some interest in your health and safety. If you roll your 7 series into a twisted little ball of metal, the rest of us (via our medical insurance premiums) are going to subsidize your hospital bills, prosthetics and rehab.

If we could get the Government to agree to withhold ANY financial subsidy / medical insurance / sympathy for anyone who hurts themselves and their passengers driving at triple digit speeds, I would be 100% in agreement with you. But I can't see that happening.

So I'll settle for the next best thing: reminding folks that there are alternatives to going 100-plus on public roads, and hoping that at least one person out there will listen.

Flame on.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic