View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
@alex_c,

I don't doubt that your cable says it will work with the F-series cars, and it will. The bad news is you're going to have to buy an ICOM for it to work, and even then in a very limitied capacity.

All the F-series vehicles (except 123d if I remember right) use E-Sys to program and the program expects to communicate using IP addresses. The cars have a pseudo DHCP server that issues an IP address to you computer, so our computers know how communication is going to occur. Now this connection can be done one of two ways but they are both IP address dependent. Either you use the ENET cable that most of us build and your NIC card does most of the translating through E-Sys, or your ICOM is issued the IP address and it does the translation through E-Sys but using it's interface. The D-CAN cable (I can't see yours perfectly, but it looks like that's what you have) will also only diagnose the F-series vehicles through an ICOM , clone or VM ICOM using IPNA.

The truth is we all need to get used to our vehicles using IP addresses as BMW and other car manufacturers switch over to the ASAM MCD-2D standard (Open Data eXchange). BMW even spent the time to port EDIABAS over to allow it to communicate via ENET, and that was so they could talk to the CIC in the E9X.

The other strange thing is the part number they are using. If it is a true BMW part number, then the cable you have should be a CIC Connecting Wire.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...119185171.html

My advice...contact the seller and request a refund, then build an ENET cable.

Dreamcar - Here's the I-Level worksheet. It shows what chassis code lines up with which data set (psdzdata). Can you add it to the first post? Thanks.

Sean
Attached Files
File Type: pdf I-Levels.pdf (28.7 KB, 3299 views)

Last edited by ImSW1; 05-10-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Add I-Level Worksheet