View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveling View Post
I'm looking at a '08 650 vert for my wife. I have some questions about it for current owners.

1. We are looking at an 08 with a manual transmission. Any thoughts from current owner on the manual? Pros / Cons? Both my wife and I prefer the a manual which might play in our favor as I would imagine most people want an automatic.

2. I'm leery of the iDrive computer. I've read mixed reviews. Thoughts from anyone on the dependability, ease of use, etc.. of the system?

3. Dependability. For vert owners any issues with operation of the top? We had a Saab vert which was undependable, complex and costly to fix. I take it this lift via hydraulics of some sort.

4. Any other tips on what to look for in a used 650?

Thanks!
1) I have a manual and love it. They are rare, but should go for less since most people in this class of car want a GT car. A manual combined with 360hp/360lb-ft is a blast.

2) The 2008 cars come with the updated iDrive (7 buttons surround the iDrive controller wheel) which makes iDrive much more intuitive and easy to navigate. It is a little daunting at first but you get used to it quickly. I think iDrive gets slammed in magazine reviews because journalists don't get enough seat-time with the cars to learn iDrive to the point where it becomes second nature.

3) The top is a problem area. It's not the mechanism/hydraulics that fail, but an overly-sensitive pair of sensors that can result in false "top not closed" errors. Seems to occur in ~ 25% of the cars. There is an easy temp fix (see post #120 in this thread for the boesman push)

4) Try to get a CPO extended warranty. If you want the car to handle flat in the corners get one with Dynamic Drive (Active Roll Stabilization) and the sport package. I would imagine anyone who ordered a manual would have those options as default.

Overall these are awesome cars. They practically defy physics considering how heavy they are and how well they handle. A great GT car that will almost keep up with an M3 on the track if you push it.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater