View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
I had to re-ignite this thread because I've been doing research. This is actually not a bad deal if you love your X and want to keep it fresh. Loosing some OBC functions is minuscule compared to what you gain in return. I have a completely stock head unit with MK4 navigation and even though it may seem the price is steep for a 10 year old vehicle, they have quite a bit of R&D time behind them for BMW's. They look to have great customer service too. They are even releasing a unit for the E60 with idrive knob compatibility. If you get the Android unit you get a WiFi/3G capable unit with FB, mail and other google based apps on the fly for not much higher. Here is an install post of the E53 with the most complicated option NAV+DSP.
http://www.xoutpost.com/miscellaneou...placement.html

After searching other forums I saw that I'm somewhat late in that I would have done this already this year had I known more about it. It fits as snug as the factory head unit and it performs. And if you compare it to those Chinese units that claim to be revolutionary it makes it worth the price, and those units were going for almost $700 when they came out and they didn't even have A2DP streaming. I guess they were Beta testers.