Thread: 2012 Scion FR-S
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
I'm impressed that they decided to make an old-school sports car. It's light and nimble and designed to handle well and be fun to drive. I think everyone who wants more power, turbo/supercharger, fatter tires, etc. is missing the point. The Miata was considered one of the best driving cars for years even though it was tiny, had a small motor and skinny tires. Think of this as a Miata with a roof.
!
This hits the point on the head!

23 years back, in 1990 when the Miata was introduced, it was a revelation in the age of loaf-mobiles recovering from '80's fuel crisis-(brand new beaters) and being further egged on by the overstuffed Excess-mobiles typical of the '90's. In those days the Eclipse GSX turbo was quite the AWD hot setup car - with 195 hp to boot. The Miata started out right around 118 hp. Look which one has become a legend in it's own right.

Oh how spoiled we have all become. 200 hp is just "not enough" anymore. Wow.

Maybe we should all learn to enjoy the art of great driving again. Let's be thankful for a car that dosen't sell based of the "merits" of 11-airbags, "11-inch sat-nav screen" or AWD and twin turbo V6's under the hood. Try driving some good curvey, twisty roads in a properly balanced, RWD, manual transmission car. Forget about the "horsepower wars" and enjoy an honest sports car for once.
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.

Last edited by Turbo_525; 05-19-2012 at 08:38 PM.