View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM
DO IT

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
2012 NAV CIC update

My NAV update experience. I updated my 2011 CIC X5 35d, it was using NAV version 2010.

I also tried to buy the 2012 DVD from BMW, they are not stocked any more, no one in the country has them, nor does the dealership know if they will get them. So I downloaded the torrent, and burned 3 DVDs. The DVDs seems to burn fine, but disk 3 would lock up or freeze and spin, i could hear it repeating its cycle in the CD player. So after talking to some people, I started the install over from the USB. You will need 3 separate usb drives. The system asked to insert USB 2 and then 3, similar to the DVDs. Good thing about this was the data from the DVD install was stored on the HD and the re-install from USB1 and USB2 lasted a few minutes, as all it did was confirm that the data was copied over. Then I inserted USB3 and this seemed to take forever, maybe 3 hours. Perhaps it froze like DVD3 did. I eventually shut the car off and the system said update successful and then rebooted.
Map version says 2012, and everything seems to run ok. I know the maps were updated, as my drive to work now shows the new road. It was under construction last year and didn't show up on my old version. The UI doesn't look any different, and I think the perspective 3D maps didn't get copied over.

Does your 2012 updated version of the Nav maps give you the perspective view in 3D option?

In the menu > views > my perspective view in 3D option is grayed out. I'm thinking the 3D maps didn't get copied over during the install, unless I have to pay for some feature i'm not aware of. Can anybody verify that I should have the 3D maps?