View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
not sure where you guys are getting all this info from. My old Challenge Stradale and F430 both have carbon ceramics. They don't squeak and the consistency on the track is amazing. Add not having to deal with brake dust and it's a good combo. Where are you getting the info that they are susceptable to damage even with mounting a wheel?? My MP4-12C was just ordered with carbon ceramics also and I wouldn't buy a car without them if the option is offered.
I would get the Carbon Ceramics from BMW if they covered them under the free maintenance - but I think there are probably other options (brembo, etc) that can be done aftermarket if you find the stock brakes aren't adequate. It's an awful big car to be tracking though.. just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
Ceramic brakes not a good idea. They are susceptible to damage even from mounting wheels. They squeak like a mother, very expensive to replace, only beneficial for track purposes and aren't covered under BMW 4 year maintenance program. Save the $8700 and spend it on pads and rear tires and have lots more enjoyment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
I think they're a great idea for people that will use them - I've rarely heard of by buddies complain of squeaks - and if you've got the dough for the car, chances are, a brake job isn't going to break the bank. I think that there are alternatives though - different pads if you're only occasionally tracking, etc. With them not covered under the maintenance, I agree, you'd be better off doing some brakes aftermarket. I'd like to see proven real life performance over stock, though - we might be surprised.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)