DIY - How To Update Transmission Software (2-1 Shift problem)
This issue is a very well known issue and we all know there are few solutions out there such as Guibo, tranny oil, software update, etc.
There are DIYs for most of the solutions but I couldn't find a DIY for software update. most saying you have to take it to the dealer. Since I like to DIY everything possible I managed to update my transmission software and it really makes a difference.
I'm assuming you have your cable and know how to install drivers and stuff
1. Download and install BMW standard tools. It contains INPA, NCS, winKFP, and tool32.
This will only install the programs, you need the sp-daten files for e65.
2. Use the attached guide to setup winKFP.
3. Open INPA>>choose chassis>>Transmission>>Gearbox Control module>>Identification (F2). now press arrow down on your keyboard and take note of your Assembly number. Close INPA
4. Open winKFP>>Comfort mode>>Enter ZUSB and Enter the assembly number.>> Take note of your ECU family.
5. Now press F3 (Update ZUSB) and choose your ECU family.>>Ok
6. F4 (Enter VIN) and enter your full VIN number. >> Ok >>F8 (DONE).
7. F3 (Prog. ZB-Update). Here a pop up shows you your current and updated assembly number. If they are the same you already have the updated software but if not press okay.
Another pop up asking permission to program ecu....press okay and your done.
It took about 5 mins. so if your car's battery can hold up for 5 minutes you'll be alright.
At the end it should tell you that the programming was okay.
I reset my adaptation values using INPA after it was done and believe me it makes a huge difference. 2 to 1 jerk is 99% gone. I think I also need to change tranny oil and it'll be 100%.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by mortyx10; 05-24-2012 at 12:13 AM.