View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Arrow Thanks to all!

Thanks to all those who posted.... I am a newbie in auto reapir, but kenza's detailed instructions/photos and your shared experiences made the task real easy. Some observations:
  1. Supercourse mentioned that the drive-dog replacement is only for windows that have completely fallen down and will not go up. In my case the window would go up each time but stop around 3 inches short and I'd just pull it right to the top. I purchased a regulator locally, just in case.
  2. The drive-dog was much easier to remove (and to install the new one!) from the rail when I moved the dog to the part of the rail where the dog could do a 90+ degree rotation without any obstruction in the back. The "push" dog out (step 6 in kenza's instuctions) did not work for me.
  3. The tab was difficult for me to remove on the broken dog. I used a plastic ball-point pen to push it out. It was much easier to push out after I used a small metal pick to pull the black triangular foam cushion (on the dog) from under the glass.
  4. I had help, but could not get the tab on the new dog into the window. After multiple attempts I got it within 1mm and then decided to run the window all the way up. This worked the dog into the window - it made a loud pop when it sat in. I think this was risky, but it seemed to be the only option for me. Everything else I could think of would have damaged/bent the rail or the door frame.

I purchased the dog locally - it cost me $54 incl. tax. I had to purchase Torx bits - picked up a Titan 61 piece set from AutoZone for $15. I am going to invest in a plastic pry tool kit - the BSW tool kit is a little pricey as I have everything in the kit except the plastic tool. Will look to get a whole plastic SIR set for the same price if I cannot get the individual tool. This is a must-have as it took me forever to remove the trim and door panels using a plastic scraper.
Thanks again!!