View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Hey Joe. The silver label DME is for the 95 model M50 with the EWSII. The red label works with the vanos M50. Can't remember what color matches the non-vanos DME (green I think).
I have a 95 M50 VANOS with a 413 red, dont know about EWSII though. thats greek to me, i know that you are to go-to guy about it though. Green sounds about right, but its a moot point now. OP has the motors DME so the issue now is getting it to match his OBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E34Addict View Post
I think you are right, I counted the wires and I have 5 more additional wires coming from the engine. I will compare the wiring diagrams of the M30 and M50 to know how to proceed. By the way, the engine is the single vanos M50 not the non-vanos version. I got the pictures to show you the whole wiring harness. I am worried about the dashboard computer the most with respect to this swap.
The OBC for the car will only read as much as it has wires for., match them up and it will work just as it did with the M30. The extra wires coming off of the motor side are for further readings and sensors that the engine has that the car wasnt produced to display. Worst case, they dont get wired to the obc and those 5 wires dont get to display whatever information they provide.

I'll assume that the OBC has enough information to keep the motor in running shape as it has with the M30, things like coolant level, oil level, coolant temp, thermostat etc... Depending on if those 5 extra wires are information on motor vitals, we may need to begin to theorize how we're gonna get this done. I hope you dont have to go to the extreme of swapping the cars harness although it is doable...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you OP

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34