View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube (CCV vent clogs!)

Since I was replacing the holed boot to the ICV/TCV, I decided to check the oil dipstick guide tube and, much to my dismay, I found the concentric ring was clogged solid.

I checked the CCV thread which shows they redesigned it to eliminate the troublesome concentric tubes - but this thread is for those many of us with the original dipstick guide tube.

Since it's in my hands - and since I have ZERO experience with this problem ... I ask for all who are similar:
Q1. How do those with experience suggest we clean our dipstick guide tubes?

Q2. I lost the o-ring while blowing garden hose water on the dipstick; do you think the exact right size matters? BMW has the o-ring in stock ($3.83) but I'd have to button it up to get there. I can fit a garden hose washer on for now. Does it stand a chance of working?

Q3: How can we test whether our dipstick guide tubes are clogged or not - WITHOUT removing them from the vehicle like I did?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.gif
Views:	10308
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	327633  

Last edited by bluebee; 06-19-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Changed title. Title was: How can we clean out a clogged oil dipstick tube (connection to CCV)?
Advertisement