View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axialflow View Post
I would use some brake cleaner to try and wash that gunk out.
I tried gasoline in a big plastic bag - but I think I need something mechanical to loosen it a bit. I will keep trying things - but ideas are always welcome because I want to try to do this before heading back to the dealer for the o ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axialflow View Post
It seemed like the o ring needs to sit inside the hole for the dipstick tube.
Yikes! If the o-ring fits INSIDE the top of the oil pan housing, my garden-hose washer likely won't go inside (it will sit on top). That will change things!

Called Stevenscreek BMW (they're open 'till 5pm). They have the o-ring (19,5x30 in stock, P/N 11431740045, $3.83); but they don't have the dipstick guide itself ($117).

Also, I broke the plastic clip on the side of the dipstick guide - but I don't see a part number for it (#17 below). In fact, I don't even see a non-ENDED part number for the oil dipstick guide tube.

But, the most important question is what happens (now that my dipstick is clogged) if I put it back?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.gif
Views:	6661
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	327637  

Last edited by bluebee; 06-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.