View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
2007 Side Mirror Actuator replacement

So an update....

My passenger side mirror stopped working a while ago.

Checked the fuses, all good.

Called up the local scrap yard and picked up a used mirror from a 2007 as well, but without the electric fold and dim features as I only needed the actuator inside.

STEP 0: lower passenger window, disconnect battery, block hatch from closing. - REMEMBER, THE AIRBAG is there!

Step 1: open the used mirror, remove the actuator. Challenges? The connector does not fit through the hole, so needed to remove the pins from inside and pull the flat cable out.

Step 2: remove the glass from my mirror. Push the mirror left and down, all the way. Insert fingers on the right side, firmly but not full power, pop out the glass. Disconnect heating and dimming cables.

Step 3: Open mirror. Fold mirror to the front and remove hidden screw underneath. Push the clip inside the mirror holding the outside mirror cover in place. Start pulling out the cover from the far side, firmly, no force till open.

Step 4: Remove side panel. (as shown in the vid by Supercourse (Thanks man!!!!)).

Step 5. Remove mirror cover. There is a clip on the bottom. Pull out the center part to release. Uncover mirror bolts. There are 2 under there + 1 under the rubber seal of the door.

Step 6: Disconnect mirror cabling. Remove the white 3pin connector as it wont fit through the whole of the mirror.

Step 7: Unbolt mirror and remove.

Step 8: Remove actuator and replace with other one making sure you connect everything you disconnected and tuck in cables nicely.

Step 9: all the above, in opposite order to put stuff back together.

Hours spent: 3.5

Difficulty: 10/10, because there are a lot of things you can break and you need to make sure the cabling is good.

---------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST

Hey fellow x3ers...

My passenger side mirror died a few days ago and after making sure its not a blown fuse I bought a used whole mirror from a local scrap yard. To my surprise though, to replace the actuators inside the mirror, the mirror needs to be removed and the bolts are covered by the plastic thing that runs behind the door panel! ( oh i miss my e30 now! ).)
So the queation is, how do you remove the door panel?
I have removed the screw behind the airbag labeled cap and another one under the arm rest. But im sure there are more cause the panel still sits firmly in place.

Any and all help will he appreciated a lot!

Thanks,

Jason
---------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Bimmer App

Last edited by sjladopoulos; 06-03-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: update
Ads by Google