View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
All cars built for the last number or years are required to have an On Board Diagnostics port. The original spec's been updated to OBD II (version II). In addition to that info, many (including BMW) also use a CANBUS accessable from the same connector (it's behind a panel to the left of the LHD vehicle's steering wheel.

The factory computer the dealer has (and available for big bucks on the aftermarket) can read and adjust lost more things than the 'standard' OBD functions. Some of the aftermarket readers can access at least some of those details and some can adjust the parameters.

Anyway, the app for my phone is in the $10-15 range, and some adapters to make the connection to the phone cost less than $10 as well. Dedicated OBD readers can be had on sale for as little as $40 or so, and can run up to thousands, depending on their functionality and capabilities. But, the BT dongle lets you use the nice display of the phone (or laptop or tablet) to see more and have more capability and likely updates to the info's database.

Some will let you access the outputs of the accellerometers, give a remote speedometer, tacometer, brake force, fuel pressure, fuel gauge, and lots of other stuff that is interesting, if nothing else. It will also let you read the error codes stored in the vehicle's computer, and reset error codes, if you wish. Some will let you adjust parameters (like speedometer correction factors).

Was hoping someone had tried this on their vehicle...it should work and isn't much of an investment, so I may just try it, but I like to do research first.