View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Bluebee-the one hole in the dip stick tube is stock and means your dip stick tube is original-it is not the cold weather version. The cold weather version has NO double layer construction-the oil flow from the CVV goes directly to the center of the tube.

After reading Janson's thread and discussing the matter with Janson and 16valex I set about modifying my dip stick tube. I decided not to weld up the holes in the outside skin as IMO it did not matter which way the oil ran back to the sump.

Here are a bunch of pictures of me drilling and filing the outisde and inside of the tube to eliminate the rough edges. I also used a pick to loosen filings between the layers of the tube and then a vacuum cleaner and compressed air to clean those filings from the tube. I figured that any filings left would be caught by the oil pump screen and would get flushed out in future oil changes. Please note that I drilled 3 sets of holes. I drilled the holes in the places where the double layer passages were the widest.

These holes really eliminate the double layer design of the tube.

Thanks Jason and Alex for your help. This was really an easy mod-took about 1/2 hour. Yes, I did paint the rust spot you can see on my dip stick tube. Lol

One other thing I noticed about gunk/mayo building up in the CVV system-it is a result of too many short trips without the whole engine coming to full operating temperature. My system was filled with the stuff but one round trip at highway speeds to NYC (300 miles each way) and the system was completely clear. I don't think you have to drive 600 miles to clear the system but some miles at full operating temps, whether on the highway or not, should melt the gunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0560_4_1.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	328234   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0561_5_1.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	328235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0562_2_1.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	328236   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0563_3_1.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	328237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0564_6_1.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	328238  

Last edited by johnstern; 06-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.