View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
A grain of sand can easily plug one of those weeps.
I agree. One single grain of sand would block the thin distance between the two tubes at the bottom. It must be something like 1/32" or 1/64" spacing between the two tubes!

BTW, today I took a look at 'speedometer' cable at the parts store and concluded instantly it is absolutely huge compared to the size of the tube-within-a-tube spacing (no way would the speedometer cable I saw come even close to fitting in the concentric ring spacing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
some miles at full operating temps, whether on the highway or not, should melt the gunk
Given how rock solid my 'gunk' was in the space between each of the two tubes, I highly doubt 'mine' would have been unclogged with mere heat. It took sheer mechanical twisting force to drill through the packed-sand gunk in my dipstick tube.

Quote:
One hole in the dip stick tube is stock and means your dip stick tube is original
Thanks. That clue makes it easy to identify a stock dipstick guide tube.

Quote:
The cold weather version has NO double layer construction-the oil flow from the CVV goes directly to the center of the tube.
Does this diagram get closer to representing the old and new dipstick guide tube construction?

Quote:
I decided not to weld up the holes in the outside skin as IMO it did not matter which way the oil ran back to the sump.
Is the entire "tank" below the o-ring seating spot just a big oil tank? If so, the holes shouldn't matter, right?

Why did BMW design the concentricity in the first place then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick_guide_tube.png
Views:	1776
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	328328   Click image for larger version

Name:	drilled_dipstick_guide_tube.jpg
Views:	4176
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	328677  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 06-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.