View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I believe your diagram is correct. If you look at the Real.OEM diagram, yes, the "tank" (oil sump) is just a container for the oil. And yes, the holes should not really matter. I believe a more effective solution would be to cut the outer section of piping (the portion that johnstern drilled into) below the connection interface to the oil sump. That would eliminate the risk of drilling debris from clogging the pathway. It would also increase the "area" for the CCV drainage to flow through, below the connection interface. However, it would not correct the limited flow through cross sectional area that still exists
at the connection interface. Hence, the improved dipstick tube is the best solution, especially for those in cold weather areas that drive short distances on cold engines.

For the $130 price, it is well worth NOT having to redo a CCV replacement ( a HUGE PITA). I did mine 2.5 years ago and may need to redo this again. This time I will buy the new dipstick.
+1

Thanks Fudman for answering Bluebee's questions. I have not been able to get back to this forum until now.

Please note that I drilled the holes through the outer AND inner layers of the dipstick tube.