Thread: Last few issues
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post

I recall drivin faster saying on more than one occasion that sulfer (rotten egg) smell is attributed to failed/failing cats. They aren't cheap.
not quite, ed. it's commonly stated that this is an indicator of a failing cat, but it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it isn't necessarily indicative of failing cats. But rather, it's symptomatic of cats that are being worked very hard and possibly a lean air/fuel ratio? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
this. a lean misfire can increase the hc output as well, which will overwork the cat.

to the op, i'd check the operation of the o2, an oscilloscope works well, or a power graphing meter, if you have one handy. (they're a bit pricey but can more than pay for themselves with a few uses)

if not, then you may wish to consider replacing it if the labor to check the operation is as much as replacing it.

you can check for the signal with a dvom, but it will not be an *accurate* indication of how operational that it is as these are very sensitive and can switch (and are supposed to switch), but it will be useful to indicate the sensor is actually switching. this means that you can verify the signal (*a* signal) is getting to the pcm (dme).

i'd also check the temp at the t-stat as well, as the guage should be reading @ the middle when warmed.

df