View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchewbaka View Post
All the pluses for the GT are well documented. I agree with them all and I cannot be any happier with the car now that I have owned and driven it for the past six months.

My personal reasons are that I traded in an X5 and the GT gives me more luxury, better handling, better gas mileage, and nearly the same utility I had before - without the bulk and at a reasonable price for a BMW at this level of luxury.

<snip>

Anyway, I am of the belief that BMW should not have labelled the car as 5 series. It is selling to a distinct subset of BMW aficionados anyway and they should have created a new class of car rather than tacking it on to an established line. I am weary of explaining that the GT is more like an bargain priced 7 series rather than a premium 5 series. Buyers of the 5 series have "sedan" in their minds when they shop and are comparing with sedans of other luxury marques. It is difficult to get them to transition from shopping for a sedan to buying a 5 series GT. While a bolder step in the evolution of the marque, I think a more unique designation for our GT makes more sense for the long run.

Marketing aside, I love being able to haul anything, people, cargo, etc.... AND being able to blow away most any other car on the road.
+1 to the first part.

I "traded up" from Ford F-150 King Ranch and really wanted the space. I had a bed rug and cover on the Ford so the back was really very large trunk; I probably only used my truck as a truck one or two times in ten years! Our other car is a Volvo S80 and when I test drive a regular 535 I deceided the Volvo actually has more rear seat legroom (behind my seat anyway).

As far as this bargain 7 v premium 5 stuff, I'm on the fence. At this level a BMW is a BMW to me but I do agree they could have branded it differently just to keep the confusion down. Out of curiosity has anyone put together a comparison between the GT and a 7 to show the differences?

I thought about this after seeing a picture of the 7's dash layout. They really look the same. The only thing I notice (and it was not a long study) was the 7 has two temperature adjust wheels (the blue to red things), one on each side of the lock button, where my GT only has one.

I know we use the 7 series stuff for coding so there must be software differences but it would be interesting to see a point by point comparison.

FWIW
DLM