View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
The blue twist plug is a cover plug that is removed to insert the flywheel lock to lock the engine at TDC when setting the VANOS timing.
Thanks. It's clearly a twist plug that's a bit hard to get to ... so it must not often be accessed.

As for the prior pictures above, I think I previously mislabeled the picture reproduced below:

Looking it up, I find the large opening is actually the "throttle body" (TB, PN 13547502444) ...

While the smaller opening is the wholly separate T-shaped idle control valve (ICV, PN 13411744713) ...

What confuses me is that these must both be closely associated, yet, in the realoem diagrams, they're not even close in system classification.
Q: Why do they put these two obviously (very) closely related components in (wholly) separate classifications systems?

Note: I unknowingly manually moved the throttle body plate to clean it (with the engine off) - but - apparently I should NOT have done so based on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POof540i View Post
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT! Manually move the throttle plate with your hands. Because it is a drive-by-wire, any movement you induce can permanently damage the throttle body. Ask me how I know.
Note: Picture reproduced from this thread: E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 how to clean throttle body
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icv.png
Views:	125
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	329883   Click image for larger version

Name:	icv_part.png
Views:	3675
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	329884   Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle_housing.png
Views:	108
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	329885   Click image for larger version

Name:	tb.png
Views:	96
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	329886  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 06-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.