View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
JayMac JayMac is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virignia
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 856
Mein Auto: 01 M3, 83 320is, 75 2002
Oil cooler install

I plan on installing my oil cooler this weekend and am trying to make sure I have everything covered. I am going to mount the cooler on it's side and was thinking that I should have the oil go in from the bottom.

Does anyone know what flows where from the passages on the block.
Here is a shot of the Euro housing. I think on the regular one we have a flow valve. This is a thermostat for flow to the cooler.

You can see my finger through one of the cooler ports. I read that the thermostat does not close completely so I am thinking that the flow out to the cooler is the port with my finger but not sure.

This is looking down the top of the housing. It looks like back flow valves but I am not sure. Does the oil come up the center to the filter or up the sides and down the center to the engine, ( I think this one)?
if the oil goes to the engine via the center I can pour parts cleaner in there to see which port it come out on the bottom. Thought I found all of this in a thread somewhere but now that I need it I can't locate it!
Reply With Quote